UNITED WAY OF HENDERSON COUNTY’S LEGACY
United Way of Henderson County is part of a worldwide movement that has served communities since 1887 when it was formed in Denver, Colorado to help community leaders coordinate charitable services. Since then, the movement has grown to over 1,800 United Ways across the country and to 41 countries about the world. United Way of Henderson County is currently in its 63rd year of operation. Locally, United Way recruits individuals and organizations who bring the passion, expertise and resources needed to get things done.
United Way focuses resources on programs that are the building blocks for a good quality of life. These include:
2. Income/Financial Stability
United Way of Henderson County’s strength continues to be the difference we help make possible locally. Every year, United Way helps over 30,000 individuals and families in your community to advance the common good by creating opportunities for a better life for all.
You already have a significant and meaningful long-term relationship with United Way. Take the next step and make United Way’s Legacy your own by ensuring that future generations will have the resources to continue improving lives and community conditions throughout our community. You can do this by making a planned gift to United Way’s endowment. These gifts housed in the endowment will help by improving lives for generations to come. Gift planning professionals at United Way are here to help whether or not your goal is leaving your legacy, supporting a program/initiative of great interest to you, creating a lasting remembrance of the values you embrace, making yourself happy, supplementing your income, or lowering your taxes. We will partner with you, your family, and your financial advisor to help you achieve your personal philanthropic goals while ensuring that your philanthropic vision is a reality.
Endowment Fund Purpose: the purpose of our endowment is to provide caring community investors the opportunity to make available a stable funding source for programs and initiatives crucial to the long-term success of Henderson County community.
PLANNED GIVING TECHNIQUES
Gifts that help now:
- Appreciated Stock: giving appreciated stock may allow you to avoid capital gains further lowering your cost for the gift
Property Gifts that help later:
- Charitable Bequest: involves naming United Way in your will or estate plan. This provides a gift to United Way when you pass away. You can leave a percentage of your estate, a specific dollar amount, or what is left when all other bequests are fulfilled. Many donors make a charitable bequest because they are:
- Easy: when drafting out will, your attorney can help you add United Way in a way that is meaningful to you and your family.
- Revocable: you have the ability to alter your bequest anytime.
- Smart: you maintain control of your assets while living. Charitable bequests are also not subject to federal estate taxes.
- Beneficiary Designation: you may name United Way in an existing life insurance policy or retirement account through a change of beneficiary form. The change of beneficiary form can be requested from your plan administrator or insurance provider. This can provide an easy way to give to an important cause without paying the estate tax or tax that is charges when individual beneficiaries receive the transferred funds.
- New Life Insurance: You may also elect to give a new life insurance policy to United Way. By having United Way own the policy, you can receive a tax deduction for the premiums during your income earning years while creating a gift outside of your estate. We have a program to help make this an easy process, and we would be happy to provide you with an estimate cost based on your current situation.
Gifts that pay income:
- Charitable Gift Annuity: You may elect to give United Way cash or stock. In exchange, United Way agrees to make guaranteed payments to the named beneficiaries for as long as they live. United Way receives the remainder when the beneficiaries have passed away.
Making a planned gift to United Way is simple, rewarding and incredibly impactful. Your legacy gift will support United Way for into the future and help improve lives and community conditions for generations to come. We recommend you consult with a professional advisor as to the impact a potential planned gift could have on your estate and your specific situation. To take the first step and to learn more, please contact us at 828-692-1636.